Do These Retro Kitchen Rules Actually Work?
The hosts of The Kitchen put them to the test.
- Why this is a myth: Tear stimulus comes from your eyes, not your nose or mouth.
- Fix: Freeze onions for 15 to 20 minutes before chopping. The cold slows the release of the eye-stinging gases from the onion.
- Why this is a myth: The pit is only effective at preventing browning on the part of the guacamole it touches.
- Fix: Pack the guacamole tightly in the bowl, pressing out any air bubbles. Lay plastic wrap flush against the guacamole to minimize the amount of oxygen in contact with the surface.
- Why this is a myth: Your muffins will come out exactly the same whether the empty cups are filled with water or not.
- Fix: Rotate your pan halfway through baking to make sure your muffins bake evenly.